The Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Trail stretches 312 kms through the Mackenzie Basin and Waitaki valley from the base of Mt Cook all the way to thge Pacific Ocean. It's one of New Zealand's greatest Great Rides, and this Alps 2 Ocean Full Tour Experience allows you to take in the best of it over seven fantastic days.
This tour allows you to spend seven days enjoying breathtaking scenery, meeting the locals, and experiencing the best the region has to offer.
This day begins at Aoraki, Mount Cook. You'll be flown across the Tasman river to the Chop Creek landing site and on to the Alps to Ocean cycleway start. It's 24km to your first nights accommodation at a high country station with some fabulous accommodation - a real slice of rural New Zealand and unbelievable panoramic views.
On Day Two you'll set off for Twizel. Enjoy a gentle winding track alongside Lake Pukaki with some breathtaking views of Mount Cook and the Ben Ohau range. Your guide will meet you for a scenic picnic on route. Recommence your journey towards Twizel where accommodation and a glass of wine awaits.
Today you're headed for Ohau via the hydro canals. Vast open skies give way to the Ohau range and the deep glaciated Hopkins Valley. Your picnic stop will allow you to marvel in the surrounding whilst eating some sumptuous local produce. We move on and stay at the fantastic Ohau Lodge. Relax and relieve tired muscles in the spa and enjoy great food and the special character the lodge has to offer.
After breakfast, you will cycle towards Omarama via Quailburn historic site. Quailburn Station was once part of the vast property known as Benmore Run, which was one of the largest properties in Otago during the 1870s. At the Quailburn historic site you will find a woolshed, sheep-dip, homestead and some hut ruins dating from 1866. We can take a quick detour to the claycliifs before heading straight for the hot tubs in Omarama. Unwind in the soothing waters of Omarama’s hot tubs whilst taking in the gentle mountain views, before heading to your hosts for the evening.
Today you will cycle to Kurow - some 65 kms away. First you'll cycle along the great lake of Benmore and then take the road up an over to Otematata. Here you cross over the Benmore dam, the largest of its kind in the southern hemisphere at the time of being built. Cycling along the tree lined lakeside road you enjoy the changing vistas and start to notice small boutique vineyards - you'll have a private visit to one of the best in the region.
Day six is a visually diverse day. You will cycle away from the mighty Waitaki River and head over into undulating limestone valleys where you'll take in fossil sites, Maori rock drawings and the amazing elephant rocks.
After 6 days of epic riding, you'll take the shortest days riding into Oamaru. You will follow the trail through the old historic part of town and to the wharf and the end point of your amazing cycle journey, the Pacific Ocean.
Here you'll enjoy a bottle of bubbly at the Portside Restaurant and celebrate.
The afternoon is yours to explore the delights in Oamaru. This is your guide's home and they can recommend plenty if things to do.
You'll be collected from your bed and breakfast and return you to your departure airport. Please allow 3 hours for Christchurch, 4 hours for Queenstown and 2 Hours for Dunedin.
- Fully vehicle supported - your driver/guide has great local knowledge and international experience; they will go out of their way to ensure your tour lives up to expectations. Feel free to jump in the vehicle for a ride or carry on at your own pace to the next designated meeting point.
- Our bike fleet is designed for the changing terrain of the A2O. We have a young fleet of well serviced bikes. We support New Zealand brands and provide you with Avanti cycles designed for New Zealand conditions.
- 7 days of biking
- Return transport from Christchurch, Dunedin or Queenstown.
- All accommodation staying in lodges, Bed and breakfasts, Farmstays and Homesteads. Rooms are twins or doubles. We can offer single rooms with a supplement. On evening 1 some facilities are shared.
- Meals from evening meal on first day to breakfast on day 8. Alcohol is not included with meals. Evening meal is not included on day 7
- Bike hire included.
- Helicopter flight to the start of the trail.
- Vehicle supported with a local experienced tour guide.
- Luggage transfer.
- Omarama Hot Tub.
- Wine tasting in Kurow.
- Penguin tour at Oamaru.
- 12 - 19 October
- 17 - 24 November
- 8 - 15 December
- 29 - 5 December/January
- 19 - 26 January
- 9 - 16 February
- 2 - 9 March
- 23 - 30 March
- 13 - 20 April
- 4 - 11 May
Vertical Ventures is an Oamaru based Adventure Tour operator dedicated to providing quality cycle and climbing tours in our region.